As Good As It Got...My Sports Career

Champions of Kent 2017

I have always been a fan of sports since I was young. There was never a sport that I was incredibly good at. I was always one of the people that got put in the worst groups in PE even if I tried my best. There were some sports that I tried harder in than others such as cricket and football and then some sports where I never got into such as basketball and athletics.

Cricket

In primary school, I was always a fan of rounders and when I stepped up to bat, everyone used to step back which filled me with confidence. This was because they knew I was going smash it out the park. Then it got to secondary school and I didn't really get involved in sports teams. Then the summer came and posters popped up around school about a year 7 cricket team and to year 7 Luke, that had his name all over it. So, one day after school I turned up to try-outs and there was a good 30 people there so I weren't feeling that confident. I had an alright try-out and then at the end, our teacher sat us down and then selected the names of people he thought stood out and wanted in the team. He started by saying the obvious people who were sport mad and then he picked my name. I couldn't believe it, I had made it into a sports team?! Throughout that term we had a few friendlies and nothing really happened. I then decided to take the next step up and join a team outside of school. They wanted to see how good I was at batting so they got a few of their more experienced bowlers to bowl at me and then someone bowled a high ball which was also travelling quite fast, I didn't know what to do so I ducked and hoped it missed me but then it struck me right in the back. I'm not going to lie, I cried because cricket balls hurt when they hit you at force. Ever since that incident, I never really liked batting and always preferred to bowl.
It got to Year 11 and I was still in the team and we entered a cup where all the local schools got together and did a tournament. I didn't really think much about it until our teacher told us we were into the quarter-finals, this was when things started to get serious. We smashed through the quarter finals where I got two wickets, then the day of the finals came, it was the perfect day as the sun was out and there was a massive crowd turnout of 1 which was my dad. The opposite school batted first and I got to bowl a couple of overs (pictured below). The opposition got quite low score and then it came to our turn to bat and our teacher came up with a plan to put a weaker batter first so that our stronger batters can go against the rubbish bowlers and get sixes and fours every time. No one volunteered as tribute to go and bat first so for some reason I said I would (pictured below sub-heading), I lasted a good 5 overs and got 2 runs which I was pretty impressed with, then our more experienced batters went in to win the game. Our team were then crowned champions of Kent 2017. Ever since then, cricket has just become my hidden talent.


Football


I've been a fan of football since primary school and I started supporting Liverpool as they were top of the league at the time and Fernando Torres was my favourite player. My whole family supported Tottenham so I was the odd one out. I started to play football in year 3 and was a defender and when the ball came to me, I'd just kick it as hard as I could. I did pretty well and then as I got more involved I wanted to score more goals so I then put myself up at striker. Secondary school came and I applied for the school team every year just for the fun and I never made it but I always saw it coming. I still continue to play football in my free time with my mates but its never gone to a professional level. I Continued to support Liverpool until I went to my first proper football game at Crystal Palace and then since that day I supported them. At the time, it was a good idea but now looking at Liverpool at the top of the premier league and Crystal Palace at around the middle of the table, it wasn't a wise choice but it is more of a local team compared to Liverpool. I regularly attend Crystal Palace matches as they are great fun and always intense. My favourite players at Palace is Wilfred  Zaha (pictured) or Max Meyer because they are quality players who show passion and always try their hardest to get the best result for the fans.

That will be it for this blog, I hope you enjoyed finding out a bit more about me and my sporty side of life. If you have any questions, please feel free to message me via social media such as Instagram or Twitter and I will try to get back to you as soon as I can!!

Byeeee :)

Comments

Popular Posts