Spring Awakening!!



Spring Awakening

Last Friday, I had the pleasure in going to see my good friend Beth Jefferies’ University production called Spring Awakening. I hadn't been to the theatre in quite some time so I was quite excited to go again and the fact my friend was performing. She and the rest of the cast had been working on this performance for quite some time and it all payed off in the end! I went with two of my friends Alex and Katie and we all had a great time. If I'm honest, I didn't know what to expect but whatever I expected, they excelled massively.

Set around the 1800's in Germany, Spring Awakening portrays the lack of education given to students surrounding everyday life such as sex education. Two characters, Melchior and Wendla, meet and struggle to create a world together whereas their friend, Moritz, can't handle the pressure off puberty. Some of the other main characters Included Martha, Isle, Anna, Thea, Hanschen, Ernst, Georg & Otto. The first half was good, however, I was a bit confused as I didn't know anything about the play or what was going on but I still enjoyed myself. At the interval, I bought a programme at half time which told us the story line which made the show make more sense to me. The second half I thought was a lot better than the first half as by that point, they were all getting into their roles. One song that they performed which stood out to me was called 'Totally F*cked'. The song was about how the Schoolmaster had expelled Melchior and gave him the blame for the death of his friend Moritz and there was nothing he could do to fight his case. I also liked the song as I could relate the song to my life. Apparently, a few mistakes occurred such as forgetting lines or not doing what they were supposed to do but I didn't notice any of that so the whole cast performed professionally and put on a really good show.

I thoroughly enjoyed the whole performance and would definitely recommend it and see it again but sadly it was only on for two days. I hope sometime in the near future they can put on another play as this one was such as success as they manage to sell out all of their shows. The whole performance couldn't have been done without all the committee including the music directors Ben and Tom, the director Sarah, Choreography by Kathryn and the president, Jess as they did a smashing job!! The whole cast did really well as well and should be proud of themselves, I'm sure they will all be performing at The West End or Broadway soon and I wish them all the best of luck for the future!!

Comments

Popular Posts