Barn On The Farm 2019


My first festival which I will remember for the rest of my life! So many of my favourite artists all in one place surrounded by a great community! Some of the acts I would be seeing for the first time and definitely not the last time and some acts I've seen before. It was the perfect weekend and a festival that I shall definitely be returning to next year!!

Saturday


Me and my mate Danny (Snapchat: dmj451) got weekend tickets for Saturday and Sunday so we had to get up at 5am to get from London to Gloucestershire, when the barn doors open! It was a challenge but we made it! I'm not going to lie, we struggled putting the tent up but an hour later after Face-timing my sister, we had a home for the weekend. Shoutout Kate for making sure we survived. After the tent was up we cracked open a cider and went to see our first act of the weekend...

Vistas




I saw Vistas back in April this year, they supported Circa Waves at The Roundhouse (Blog). I had a small idea of what to expect, and they did not disappoint. They managed to get everyone dancing, singing and involved in their performance, making sure everyone had a good time. My two favourite songs of theirs are 'Retrospect' and 'Calm', mainly because they are upbeat and songs that you don't want to leave out of your indie playlists. A cool little band for Edinburgh that are building a bigger fan base by the day. Their funky pop melodies are different to anything you've heard before and I fully recommend you stop what you're doing and give them a listen!!


Lauren Aquilina



Lauren Aquilina was the next act who I've previously seen support Nina Nesbitt back in April (Blog). She put on a good show to quite a big audience but, she is well known at Barn On The Farm as she has played there multiple times so it was no surprise. She played for a good half an hour and my favourite songs of hers are 'Psycho' or 'If Looks Could Kill'. Both songs have riffs from a bass and then a beat behind it match perfectly to make the songs absolute tunes!! I managed to get a photo with her as well just before she left the festival which was cool and made Beth super jealous. I look forward to seeing what new songs she releases in the future because her latest songs are soo good. I'm sure that it won't be the last time seeing her live as my best friend Beth, adores her so I'm sure I'll get dragged along to her gig.


Gabrielle Aplin

I didn't manage to see much of Gabrielle but what I did see of her was incredible. I timed it perfectly to see her perform my two favourite songs 'Please Don't Say You Love Me' and 'Miss You'. I really like her songs because they have a story behind them such as 'Miss You' sees her fade away from her normal guitar sounds and try a more pop sound which suits her just as good as her with a guitar. From what I saw of her performance, she was energetic and knew how to get the crowd going. She is defiantly an act I would love to see live agin in the future!


Nina Nesbitt

Nina was amazing. having seen her back in April (Blog), I was very excited to see her once again because I knew what to expect and all her songs were up beat and right up my street. She was one of the main acts I wanted to see over the weekend along with Maisie Peters and Lewis Capaldi. She did not disappoint. She played her top hits including 'The Best You Had' and 'Is It Really Me Your Missing'. During a break between songs, someone gave her a Scottish flag which she proudly wore around the stage. She played a mixture of old songs and new songs from her latest album 'The Sun Will Come Up, The Seasons Will Change'. One thing that made her different from the rest of the acts is that she mixed it up and did a couple of covers including 'Toxic' by Britney Spears and 'Say My Name' by Destiny's Child. Both covers were really good and I'm hoping she releases them soon? Her set lasted about 40 minutes and was definitely a highlight of my weekend!!


Zak Abel 



This guy was the highlight of my Saturday, an incredible performance. Before he came on to the stage I knew one of his songs which is 'You Come First' which he didn't actually play at the festival but the whole of his performance made up for it. This guy has so much energy and never stopped smiling from the moment he stepped on stage, you could tell he was having as much fun as everyone was in the crowd. He played a long set and all his songs were up-beat and got the whole crowd moving. He has had hits in the past having collaborated with the likes of Gorgon City and even Avicii. During the middle of his set he took some time out to say thank you to Barn On the Farm for having him back, then he said it was his Mums birthday who was also in the crowd. He got us all to sing Happy Birthday to her which was nice! He was soo good and played songs such as 'These Are The Days' and 'Beautiful Life' which are two bangers and give off summer vibes! Overall a new act I'm going to look out for in the future and hopefully see again!!


Dermot Kennedy

The headliner for Saturday, he wasn't the original headliner because that was meant to be Sam Fender but he sadly had to pull out due to illness. However, Dermot Kennedy was a really good replacement and put on a good show considering how late Sam pulled out. Most of the crowd knew who he was from playing previously at Barn On The Farm but, I had never heard of him before that night. I thought he was pretty good having a couple of decent songs such as 'Power Over Me' and his latest song 'Outnumbered'. The majority of his songs were quite slow which was alright but I personally prefer someone who is more upbeat just so you can bop along to them but he put on a good show none the less.


Sunday 


For me personally, Sunday was the better day out of the two in terms of acts because there were more people I knew and wanted to see! We had become familiar with the site a bit more so we knew where we were going and what to do. There wasn't any rush as the first act we wanted to see was on at 12. At the food area, they had a cheese toastie van that were making fresh toasties and I just had to get one. It. Was. Incredible. The best toastie I have ever had, the cheese was stringy and the bread was crunchy, ahh I want another one. It was sounded fancy having organic cheese, sourdough bread and organic butter which made me feel better whilst stuffing it in my face. Whilst acts weren't on stage, we decided to walk around the farm to see what else was about, there was: retro clothing, local individual clothing brands and artwork available. You even got the chance to look at the animals that they have at the farm including: horses, goats, chickens, ducks, pigs and my personal favourites were the ostriches. They were so cool and I even got the chance to feed some of them which was an experience. They were great characters and one of them was called Boris who seemed quite vicious but the keeper insisted he was fine.


KAWALA

I was excited to see KAWALA this weekend mainly because I got introduced to their music by a friend and they were better than expected. They came on at 12 and played for about half an hour, they were a great way to start the day. The name is weird but on stage they explained why they are called that, their first reason was to be edgy and the second reason was because one of the singers is slightly dyslexic, so not a bad way to think of a band name. My favourite song of theirs is 'Do It Like I do' because its very pop and gets your hips moving. Danny and I enjoyed their set so much so that we've only gone and booked tickets to their tour in October so that should be a great gig!


Ten Tonnes


This was another act I hadn't heard of before Barn On The Farm but when I saw his name in the lineup, I decided to look him up. this was around the time he had just released his debut album. I listened to his album and fell in love with every song. They were upbeat, good riffs and the choruses were catchy. He is an artist with a big future so watch this space and remember his name. We got to the main arena where he was performing and got about half way to the front so we had a decent view and he did not disappoint. He sounded just as good as he does on Spotify. He performed for about 30-40 minutes and to me it was non-stop tune after tune. Someone brought in the largest beach ball I've ever seen in my life and got it flying all over the arena hitting everyone on the head which was quite funny but I did fear for the equipment because it was hitting everything in its way. Another amazing act and I'm very tempted to buy tickets for his show in October in London if anyone wants to come with me!!



Maisie Peters


Someone that needs no introduction on this blog page. Maisie was one of the main reasons why I wanted to go to this festival and I really wanted to see her again after her amazing show at Scala (Blog). She performed on the Wooden Barn Stage which I thought was a bit small for her. Danny and I managed to stand just inside the doors so we got a decent view of the stage. When I looked around to see how far the audience went, they were all the way out the door and round the corner. Whilst waiting for Maisie to come on stage, we managed to capture Lewis Capaldi riding around the back of the venue on a scooter which was just so like him. He then spotted us watching him and gave us a nod and said hello which was pretty cool. Anyways back to Maisie, she came on stage and sang 'In My Head' which is one of my favourites and she performed for a good half an hour, singing her greatest hits such as 'Worst Of You' and Stay Young'. 'Favourite Ex' is another banger and I really like it because of the story behind it, it's about Maisie waiting for her sister at a club, then one of her sisters ex's came up to Maisie and started talking to her, then Maisie's sister came out and the ex said 'Ella you are my favourite ex and Maisie you are favourite ex's sister'. Pretty cool and funny story behind a song! When looking at the pictures I took of her performance, they didn't come out the greatest but I still had the best time and would 100% go to see her live again!



Little Mix Tribute Act


At this time, Jade Bird was meant to perform on the Wooden Barn Stage however for the same reasons as Sam Fender, she had to pull out due to illness. At first I wasn't that fussed but then at the end of Maisie's performance she said she might have something to do with the replacement. At this point I said to Danny, let's wait and see what happens. He wasn't fussed so we waited and then out came Plested, Lily Moore, JC Stewart and Maisie Peters saying they were Little Mix and they're going to collaborate and sing a few of their own songs. When I saw them come out I was so ready for the performance of the weekend. I had seen Plested around the festival, bought one of his t-shirts from the merch stand and even managed to get a photo with him at one point but never found one of his CD's that he hid all over the farm. I wanted to see him perform over the weekend but he only performed Friday when we weren't there. I was so excited to hear him play 'Either You Love Me Or You Don't'. They each performed a couple of songs and then they would all join in with each others songs which was a nice touch. It was probably once in a lifetime performance so I'm glad we stayed at the barn and Maisie hinted that she would be back on stage. All four of them were bouncing off each other, cracking a few jokes like JC Stewart had discovered rum for the first time so overall it was a great choice for the replacement of Jade Bird.



Lewis Capaldi


After seeing the Little Mix Tribute Act, we rushed over to the Outdoor Stage and saw the last of Samm Henshaw who sounded very good and I managed to capture his last song 'Church' which is a banger. Then most of the crowd left so we managed to squeeze into the middle and about 3 rows back from the front so we had the perfect view! About an hour later and then his band came on to the Champions League music. We then heard 'Here Comes The Money' and knew it was time for Lewis Capaldi to come out. The beat then switched up and he started with 'Grace' which is one of his best songs. He is one of the most down to earth guys I've seen live. He is as funny on stage as he is on social media. Lewis played songs such as 'Hollywood' which is one a the best songs off the album which was co-written by two great artists, JC Stewart and Plested. Someone had a t-shirt with his face on it which he put on as well as a pair of glasses and a hat. He then said he wanted to take it off which the crowd responded negatively to!! He then retaliated wanting to be taken seriously as a musician.

Lewis played a lot from his debut album 'Divinely Uninspired To A Hellish Extent'. He said he's talking a lot mainly because he doesn't have enough songs to cover his time slot. His slot lasted just under an hour and he was incredible. He sounded just as good as he does on the album. He was probably the main highlight of my weekend, just hearing all of his hits and listening to him having banta with the audience, he is just so chilled. If you ever get the chance to see the legend live, don't hesitate, you will have the best time!! Seeing him this weekend has gotten me so excited to see him next March which is a long way off but a time that will be so worth it!



Maggie Rogers

Maggie is an artist I have seen a lot across social media and on adverts around places but never given her a listen and I regret that now because she put on one incredible show! She was the closing act for the weekend so it was a bit of pressure to put on a great show but she smashed it out the park. Everyone in the crowd was pumped to see her and knew she was going to put on a show to remember. My favourite song was 'Lights On' which sounded even better live and she had so many hits that people could dance along too, it was a perfect way to end a perfect weekend. I hope this isn't the last time I see of her live because she puts on a magical show that everyone enjoyed. Now I have seen her live, I'm going to finally listen to her album and then become an even bigger Maggie Rogers fan!


Looking back at my pictures and videos from the weekend, I'm quite sad its all over because I remember booking the tickets back in April and getting hyped when more acts were getting added to the line-up and now it is all over for another year. If you get the chance to go, go, don't think about it because you will have the time of your life! Danny and I both agreed as soon as Maggie Rogers had finished that we will be returning next year and attempting to get tickets for Thursday and Friday so we can enjoy the festival for longer! Next year, we are also going to listen to more artists just so there are more artists to look forward to and create more memories. I'm already looking forward to next year and seeing how they can improve from this year because it is going to be hard to beat!

I just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to Barn On The Farm for making my first festival, a festival I will remember for the rest of my life!! See you next year!! X


That will be it for this blog, I hope you enjoyed! If you have any questions, please don't forget to message me via: TwitterInstagramFacebook or even email me at Theharviepost@gmail.com!! Until next time...

Byeeee :)

Comments

Popular Posts